Extraordinary Declaration of Metropolitan Vitaly, October 2001


EXTRAORDINARY DECLARATION

In connection with the tragic developments in anti-ecclesiastical events during the last few days, I consider it my Archpastoral duty to declare that I categorically condemn the following actions of the current participants of the “Robber Council,” at which I refused to be present by reason of the non-repentance of those hierarchs who hastened to take a new course of rapprochement with a pseudo-church, the Moscow Patriarchate -- and eucharistic communion with ecumenists:

1. the illicit usurpation of church authority by hierarchs with an un-Orthodox frame of mind;
2. the unfounded and sinful accusations that I “support schismatics”; (I will not permit anyone to call faithful and dedicated pastors and members of the flock of our Holy Orthodox Church Abroad “schismatics” and “mutineers”);
3. restraining me under house-arrest, and setting a guard-watchman over me, with the knowledge and “blessing” of hierarchs who harbour evil intentions against me;
4. the violent and perfidious eviction of my personal secretary from the Synod House, which was kept secret from me i.e., de facto depriving of me of restorative-preventative care, which I particularly need, following the injury to my arm, the pain of which is becoming extremely onerous upon the cessastion of this treatment;
5. the unseemly and avaricious forcing of my signature onto a tally of the property put in my charge (and with an impermissibly raised and demanding tone [of voice], at that).

Desiring to avert the pernicious consequences of such uncanonical actions by an unrepentant “sobor,” which are directed at all forms of dialogue or unification with ecumenical or “world-orthodoxy,” so-called; seeing that the majority of hierarchs are loathe to pacify and calm the dismay, hitherto unknown, amongst our clergy and flock; and also taking into account the request by eminent and multitudinous sons and daughters of the Church Abroad, I hereby declare -- with complete accountability, and in accordance with Par. 34 of the ROCOR By-Laws that I do rescind my signature, concerning my willing retirement and the transfer of all my powers to Archbishop Lavr [Laurus]. My name must be commemorated, as before, at the Divine-Services in all the temples of the Russian Orthodox Church Aborad. In the event of unforeseen circumstances, I confer upon Bishop Varnava of Cannes the temporary shouldering of all the prerogatives of Deputy First-Hierarch of ROCOR until such time as a new First-Among-Bishops of the Church Abroad is elected by hierarchs who have remained faithful to the Orthodox Faith.

Again and again, I call to repentance those hierarchs who have faltered in the Faith, and all the faithful Archpastors, pastors and God-beloved sons and daughters of the true Church of Christ to stand unwavering in the Truth and to be of one mind and one heart [lit. “one soul”], united against the obdurate “sons of defiance,” and incessantly lifting up ardent prayers to our Lord Jesus Christ, beseeching His mercy and aid.

May the Lord God bless us all, through the prayers of His Most-pure Mother, the Most-holy Bogoroditsa, and may He help us by His grace to withstand falsehood, unfounded violence and Apostasy.

14/27 October 2001. Martyr Nazary
Mansonville, Canada
Metropolitan Vitaly {signature}

No comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

This blog is an attempt by a concerned Orthodox Christian to remind people of the deep struggle many lifelong members of ROCOR waged to protect the Church from the rise of Sergianism. It is to spread history and knowledge of the Church's true teachings, not the politics of the age.

.

.